The Classic Handbag sewing pattern was designed especially for our March Bag Retreaters, and is Mrs H’s new favourite everyday bag!
The Classic Handbag has a timeless style, with its softly curved shape just right for tucking under your arm, and a top zipper closure to keep your belongings secure. It has an exterior slip pocket on each panel that you can divide to best suit your needs, an interior zip pocket, and an interior slip pocket as well as the central bag space.
In typical Mrs H fashion, The Classic Handbag has a LOT of skillbuilding techniques, including side gussets, top boxed corners, installing a bag base and bag feet, and using zippers as piping.
In not-so-typical Mrs H fashion, The Classic Handbag is very low on hardware. Only two rivets? What was Mrs H thinking? Of course, as is always the case with our designs, you can easily add more rivets or extra bag bling to help your super sew sparkle!
Please note: vinyl for The Classic Handbag is not recommended as you will be sewing through 8 layers in total during the final stages.
The Classic Handbag measures 11.5″ x 7″ x 3 1/4″ ( 29cm x 18cm x 8.25cm).
Please note that vinyl is not recommended except for very strong machines. You will be sewing through 8 layers in total during the final stages.
- 3/4 yd (0.75m) exterior
- 3/4 yd (0.75m) lining
Interfacing & Stabilisers:
- 24″ x 24″ (61cm x 61cm) foam stabiliser
- 3” x 12 1/2” (7.5cm x 32cm) fusible fleece
- 2 1/4 yd (2m) medium weight fusible interfacing 1yd (90cm) wide, narrower will need more.
- 7 1/2″ x 3″ (19cm x 7.5cm) bag base or thin cutting mat
Hardware & Zippers:
- 2 x 1 1/2″ (3.8cm) rectangle rings
- 5 x 1/2″ (12mm) purse feet
- 2 x 14″ (35.5cm) #5 zip (cut continuous zip 14″ (35.5cm)) – One forms the pocket ‘piping’
- 1 x 7″ (18cm) #3 zip (cut continuous zip 9″ (23cm))
- 2 x Small rivets : 5/16″ Caps x 1/4″ Post (8mm x 6mm)
- 1 x Bag Label
You will also need the following:
- Double sided basting tape
- Zip foot & walking foot
- Wonder clips
- Fray Check
- Pressing Cloth
- Pinking Shears
- Duct Tape
- Chalk marker/erasable pen