Mrs H – The Supernova Satchel – Paper Pattern
The Super Nova Satchel has hidden strap connectors that are secured with rivets. The straps can be made double-sided (so with a different fabric each side, or vinyl on one side and fabric on the other), and there are two different handle lengths to choose between.
The diagonal zipper paired with the snaps helps to keep your Super Nova Satchel secure while you’re out and about. A bonus from using a diagonal zipper is that the zipper is longer than the bag width! This means that you’re able to see far more than a traditional zip top because you can open the zip into a square and see the inside fully, making it easier to quickly pop things in and out of your Super Nova when it is open.
The Super Nova Satchel has a large pocket on the front and back panels that you can leave undivided, or divide if you prefer to have multiple pockets. Dividing one of the large pockets into three sections has been most popular with bagineers so far! Inside is a zip pocket, a slip pocket, a full-width slip pocket, and a beautifully large central space.
At the bottom of the Super Nova Satchel you’ll be adding a bag base (we like to use cheap plastic cutting boards from our local homewares store!) and bag feet. The outer base of the Super Nova Satchel curves gently up the sides of the bag. These features give a lovely sturdy base to your bag, as well as helping to protect the contents of your bag from the elements.
And, the sewing pattern includes instructions and pattern pieces for two sizes of bag! With all these features, this is a great customisable bag sewing pattern that you can adapt to fit your needs!
The Super Nova Satchel is classified as an advanced bag sewing pattern. It is written in UK English and has been thoroughly tested by a team of expert pattern testers
The Super Nova Satchel comes in 2 sizes. The small measures 10″ x 7″ x 8.5″ (25.5cm x 18cm x 22cm). The large measures 13″ x 9″ x 11″ (33cm x 23cm x 28cm)
What materials do I need?
- 4 x 1/2″ (12mm) domed purse feet
- 2 x Slim 3/4″ (18mm) magnetic snaps
- 4 x 1″ (25mm) rectangle rings
- 8 x Medium Rivets: 3/8″ Caps x 5/16″ Post (9mm x 8mm) – Note: these are not optional
- 1 x 7″ (18cm) #3 zip (cut continuous zip 9″ (23cm))
- 4 x 1″ x 1″ (2.5cm x 2.5cm) scraps of foam stabiliser
Small size requirements:
- (1) x 10″ (25.5cm) #5 zip (cut continuous zip 12″ (30.5cm))
- 9 1/2″ x 6 1/2″ (24cm x 16.5cm) bag base or thin cutting mat
- 3/4 yd (0.75m) exterior
- 1/2 yd (0.5m) contrast
- 3/4 yd (0.75m) lining
- 11″ x 26 3/4″ (28cm x 68cm) foam stabiliser
- 9 1/2″ x 25 1/4″ (24cm x 64cm) decovil light
- 12″ x 27″ (30.5cm x 69cm) fusible fleece
- 2 1/4 yd (2m) medium weight fusible interfacing 1yd (90cm) wide, narrower will need more.
Large size requirements:
- (1) x 14″ (35.5cm) #5 zip (cut continuous zip 16″ (40.5cm))
- 11 1/2″ x 8″ (29cm x 20cm) bag base or thin cutting mat
- 1 1/8 yd (1m) exterior
- 2/3 yd (0.6m) contrast
- 1 1/8 yd (1m) lining
- 13″ x 34″ (33cm x 86.5cm) foam stabiliser
- 11 1/2″ x 32 1/2″ (29cm x 83cm) decovil light
- 14″ x 35″ (35.5cm x 89cm) fusible fleece
- 3 1/4 yd (3m) medium weight fusible interfacing 1yd (90cm) wide, narrower will need more.
You will also need the following:
- Double sided basting tape
- Zip foot & Walking foot
- Wonder clips
- Fray check
- Pressing cloth
- Pinking Shears
- Duct tape
- Chalk marker/erasable pen
2 in stock